6.21.2009

Parenting like Jesus?

Last week at K-Nite (the youth group I am apart of at Parkade Baptist Church) we looked at failure (or sin) and forgiveness.

JR taught out of John 21:15-17, which says (The Message),

After breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?"

"Yes, Master, you know I love you." Jesus said, "Feed my lambs."

He then asked a second time, "Simon, son of John, do you love me?"

"Yes, Master, you know I love you." Jesus said, "Shepherd my sheep."

Then he said it a third time: "Simon, son of John, do you love me?"

Peter was upset that he asked for the third time, "Do you love me?" so he answered, "Master, you know everything there is to know. You've got to know that I love you."

I have read out of this passage before but for some reason it never occurred to me the lesson Jesus was teaching Peter. Jesus asked Peter this question three times b/c he KNEW Peter had denied him three times. In a sense he was acknowledging Peter's failure. I think if you try to imagine Jesus' voice that third time he asked you would hear his inflections and it would sound like a parent with their child, maybe hinted with some disappointment. And Peter realized this and was hurt. He knew that Jesus knew what he had done but this is where the story really hit home hard for me. That was all Jesus did. He didn't yell, or curse. He didn't judge Peter or humiliate him in front of the other disciples. He merely acknowledged the shortcoming and still charged Peter with taking care of the Church or sheep.


I mean I almost broke down in tears after reading this story. This is how Jesus is with us since the beginning of our journey with Him. This is a picture of his love and grace for us. No matter how big or small our failures are He still loves us and wants us to continue building his Church even if we are imperfect! That is so crazy to me. And so great all at the same time. I love how Jesus redeems all things for good, even when we might not see it!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree. this is a pretty amazing demonstration of God's love for us and God's commitment to restore us.