5.23.2010

ATL updates

So, I realize that this might get old, me just updating about my life in Atlanta so I will try and make things worth your read.

Our last day, Friday, of the first week of our internship we got a special treat, a meeting with Brad Lomenick. Officially, Brad is the executive director of Catalyst.

What exactly does that entail? Good question. In his own words he leads out in a variety of different areas, such as: producing, strategy, programming, vision, partnerships, speaker relations, etc.

He spoke to our group about a lot of things related to leading and to what makes Catalyst succeed. I took an entire page of notes of different things he hit on but I'm going to share two things I think that are really applicable to any ministry setting.

1. Brainstorming (Catalyst does this a lot. And they do it very well.)
  • If you don't ever come up with bad ideas, you never get good ideas. This was refreshing for me to hear. I very rarely come up with THE IDEA. You know the one that gets chosen. But I will be more confident now knowing that all my bad ideas, and there are a lot of them, is probably something that sparked a brilliant idea.
  • "Yes, and..." Brad talked about this being the "rule" or mindset when taking apart of a brainstorming session. The idea goes back to no one having bad ideas. In their creative meetings no idea is shot down. Only built upon and made better.
2. Serving and Giving
  • I could really tell when listening to Brad talk about Catalyst that he desires for the brand to be one known for being generous. And not in a scratch our back, we'll scratch yours mentality. But in a way that they serve and expect nothing in return. And here is the most amazing thing. They actually do it. Catalyst has been given a platform and they really want to leverage that to inspire and bring hope to people, churches, organizations, etc.
"God does extraordinary things with ordinary people."

1 comment:

Jake said...

Thanks for keeping the posts going. Sounds like you're doing great.